2/11/12

AUSSIE MEAT PIES

What's the difference between Australian pie and American pie?
Honestly I don't know the answer. So this Aussie Pie Face Bakery Cafe got me curious. They have numerous chains in Australia and the one here in NYC is getting quite the media attention for their meat pies...I had to check it out.
This place is small but it's not hard to find, their signage is huge. And appealing! I think they have great branding going on with the cute pie expressions. They have pies with various fillings from meat, breakfast versions, and desserts.
Their pies come in two sizes: one the size of your hand and mini-me. I bought two mini-pies so I could try more flavors. Got the chicken&mushroom and minced meat. The fillings are marked with facial expressions.
Both pies were delicious, it was warm and the size was convenient to just eat with your hands. I really enjoyed the pastry, not too thick and really went well with the filling. Again and again I say I'm not a sweets person so wasn't in the mood to try their desserts.

Although really good stuff, the prices weren't. Each mini pie is $3 and you can finish it within three bites. The larger size is $6 which would barely fill up an average person for lunch. Their coffee menu on the other hand was a great deal and I heard rave reviews about it. Their coffee is categorized by witty remarks like "open my eyes" and "kick my arse!" (refer to website)

I was later educated by my fellow Aussie peers that Pie Face isn't that renowned in Australia. It practically is at the end of the list of great Australian pies. If I liked Pie Face...I can't even imagine how much I'd love the other ones.
Don't know how hard they will be to make, but Australian meat pies are going on my baking list.

1691 Broadway
(between 53rd St & 54th St)
Manhattan, NY 10019
piefacenyc.com

FYI I'm working on a sketch-a-day project, hopefully year long. Check it out here and also my friends Cindy and Minnie and Vicky!

3 comments:

shwin said...

Waaa I'm so glad you introduced your other friends blog especially Minnie's because its just so vibrant and full of color I love it!!!

Those meat pie look so good too!!! You didn't get anything with beef?

ILoveChocolateee! said...

Those pies are so cute! I would buy it if I saw it!

Linda said...

FYI - Tuck Shop on 1st Ave and 1st Street has really good meat pies and I think cheaper... :)