7/25/11

La Palapa

 My Mexican food experiences consisted of mere taco bell and chipotle.
So La Palapa was a lot more authentic experience. I had a $10 discount and came here with some old friends. The place has a really popular bar but unfortunately not of age yet :P

Their chips with salsa and guac are the best to start! I liked that they had blue chips. The salsa had fresh tomatoes and not spicy at all. You can never go wrong with guacamole.

The dishes are on the big side and those beans and rice can fill you up fast. Also be prepared for that Mexican spicy! Their skirt steak enchilada was the best - tender meat with all that salsa and guac and hot hot hot.
Also ordered grilled chicken + fresh tortillas but I thought was too tough. The beans that came along with it were good. Third entree was the spicy calamari - cooked perfectly but I thought was average.

Their prices are on the expensive side but I'd like to come back to try their brunch menu that everyones raving about. Also because the nightlife there is too loud for me.
It was just a side dish and I don't have a sweet tooth - but their sweet plantains were delicious!


Biggie: Possibly lots of cilantro and I know some people hate it with a passion.

La Palapa Cocina Mexicana
77 Saint Mark's Place (8th Street)
between 1st and 2nd Avenues

2 comments:

vk said...

But I would like to sit at the bar and enjoy the atmosphere too
Soon Cindy soon!!!

Catherine said...

I shall go there one day with you and get you a beer at the bar experience! ;]