7/6/12

Cold noodles

One thing I love about summers is the addition of cold noodles on menus! Lots of Japanese ramen shops add a hiyashi chuka or cold ramen soup for a summer special. It's primarily a soy sauce and vinegar soup base that is fairly easy to make at home. I like to try it at restaurants for their toppings! And the refreshing taste is the perfect solution to a sticky and yuck summer day. Out of three places that I've had it, Rai Rai Ken stood out to me the most. 

I've heard rave reviews about Rai Rai Ken, located not too far from St. Marks Place, and that they've renovated their dingy shop and moved to a larger and new space. I knew I had to stop by after a half-day of work. The ramen shop has an average amount of seating but isn't recommended for large parties. My bowl of cold ramen arrived neatly and colorfully arranged, with toppings of red ginger, shredded chicken, seaweed, vegetables, egg, dried tomato and apple slices! The apple slices surprised me (also that they forgot to mention it on their menu). I think the sweet apple went perfectly well with the salty and sour taste. The noodles had a good texture, not overcooked or soggy and had me wanting more. Overall enjoyed my lunch thoroughly and will come back during the winter months for a hot bowl of ramen!

214 E 10th St
(between 1st Ave & 2nd Ave) 
New YorkNY 10003

No comments: